Golden Potato Cakes
- Divide the mashed potatoes into 8 equal portions. Use your hands to form 1/2-inch thick patties.
- Heat the oil with the butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until almost smoking.
- Mix the flour with the salt and pepper in a pie plate.
- Coat the potato patties in the flour mixture.
- Add the potato cakes to the pan and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook until they have formed a golden crust, 15 to 20 minutes. (Peek underneath using a spatula before turning.) Turn and cook the other side until golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Season with additional salt and pepper and serve hot.
Recipe & photo credit: foodnetwork.com
- 2 cups chilled mashed potatoes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, for dredging
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
If you want more flavorful potato cakes, add your favorite seasoning or ingredients to the mixture before cooking.
- Roasted garlic
- Cheddar cheese
- Green onions
- Chopped bacon
- Cayenne pepper
- Carmelized onions