ERIK JONES FINISHES 17TH AT MARTINSVILLE SPEEDWAY
March 27, 2018
Erik Jones Finishes 17th at Martinsville Speedway
Moves up to 12th in the Point Standings
Box Score Info:
RACE: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series – STP 500
TRACK: Martinsville Speedway
DRIVER: Erik Jones
CAR: No. 20 Circle K Toyota Camry
POINTS STANDINGS: 12th (-105 points out of 1st)
- With snow moving in to the area on Saturday afternoon, qualifying for Sunday’s Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series (MENCS) race at Martinsville Speedway was canceled and the field was set by the rulebook placing Erik Jones and the No. 20 Circle K team starting 13th. As the snow continued and blanketed the track and surrounding area, NASCAR made the decision to postpone the race to Monday afternoon.
- Arriving to a clear track and sunny skies Monday, the STP 500 got underway shortly after 2 p.m. ET. Settling in to the top 15, Jones began relaying to the team that he was struggling with the handling of the No. 20 Camry. Slipping to 17th before the competition caution on lap 50, Jones was able to bring the No. 20 Camry to pit road for four tires, fuel and adjustments to help with the handling. The race restarted on lap 57 with Jones 15th.
- The race continued under green-flag conditions for the remainder of stage one with the caution being displayed on lap 130 with Jones in the 13th position. Reporting to the team that the No. 20 Camry was still needing more drive through the center and exit, Jones hit pit road for four tires, fuel and adjustments. With a slow stop, the No. 20 returned to the track in the 15th position for the lap 142 restart.
- Dropping several spots, Jones was running in 17th when the leaders passed him on lap 246 putting the No. 20 Circle K team one lap down. The caution waved on lap 260 to end stage two. The team called Jones to pit road under the caution for four tires, fuel and multiple adjustments. The race restarted on lap 277 with Jones 17th.
- Setting up to be a long green-flag run, the No. 20 Camry continued to struggle with the handling and slipped as low as 20th before losing another lap to the leaders.
- The final caution of the race waved on lap 384 and Jones pitted for four tires, fuel and another round of adjustments. The race restarted on lap 391 with the No. 20 Circle K team in the 17th spot.
- Running as the first car off the lead lap, Jones and the No. 20 Circle K team continued to improve and got their Camry driving the best of the day during the final run. Unfortunately, with no additional cautions, Jones was unable to get any laps back and finished the race in the 17th position, three laps down to the leaders.
- The finish advanced Jones one position to 12th place in the MENCS point standings.
- Clint Bowyer won the race followed by Kyle Busch, Ryan Blaney, Martin Truex, Jr. and Kevin Harvick to round out the top five.