Recap – 2019 Toyota/Save Mart 350
June 24, 2019
Erik Jones and CRAFTSMAN Team Finish Eighth at Sonoma Raceway
Box Score Info:
Date: June 23, 2019
Event: Toyota/Save Mart 350 (Race 16 of 36)
Series: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series
Track: Sonoma Raceway (2.52-mile Road Course)
Format: 90 Laps (Stages: 20 laps / 20 laps / 50 laps)
Start/Finish: 32nd/8th (Completed 90 of 90 laps)
Point Standings: 18th (386 points, 257 points out of 1st)
Race Winner: Martin Truex, Jr.
Stage 1 Winner: William Byron
Stage 2 Winner: Denny Hamlin
Stage 1 Recap (Laps 1-20)
- Erik Jones and the No. 20 CRAFTSMAN Toyota Camry team started the Toyota/Save Mart 350 from the 32nd position and ended stage one 29th.
- Suffering a flat tire during qualifying Saturday afternoon at Sonoma Raceway, the No. 20 team was forced to make repairs to the CRAFTSMAN Camry and Jones had to drop to the rear of the field for the start of the 90-lap race due to NASCAR’s unapproved adjustment rule.
- Focused on making moves through the field, Jones was able to move up to 21st before making a scheduled green-flag stop on lap 17 for four tires, fuel and adjustments. Jones returned to the track and was scored 29th when the caution waved on lap 20 to end the stage. The team opted to stick with their strategy and stayed out under the caution.
Stage 2 Recap (Laps 21-40)
- Jones started stage two from 11th and ended the stage 19th.
- The race restarted on lap 24 with Jones in the 11th position. Jones was able to maintain his spot in 11th until crew chief Chris Gayle called him to pit road on lap 36 for a scheduled green-flag pit stop. Following the stop for four tires, fuel and adjustments, Jones was scored 28th.
- Gaining multiple spots in the closing laps of the stage, Jones was 19th when the caution flag waved on lap 40 to end stage two. The team opted to stay out under the caution.
Stage 3 Recap (Laps 41-90)
- Jones restarted the final stage from eighth and finished in 31st.
- The race restarted on lap 44 for the final stage with Jones in the eighth position and was able to move up to seventh before making his last scheduled stop of the day on lap 62 under green-flag conditions. The team changed four tires, added fuel and made a final set of adjustments.
- Returning to the track, Jones was able to pick off one competitor at a time to move in to the top 15 on lap 65 and the top 10 on lap 80.
- In the final 10 laps of the race, Jones was able to gain several more positions to finish the race in eighth place.
- Joe Gibbs Racing teammate Martin Truex Jr. won the race for his fourth win of the season and the 10th win of the year for JGR. Kyle Busch finished second and Denny Hamlin earned a fifth-place finish.
ERIK JONES, No. 20 CRAFTSMAN Toyota Camry, Joe Gibbs Racing
Finishing Position: 8th
How would you sum up your day?
“It was good. We passed a lot of cars. I am just happy we were able to come out of here with a solid day. Wish we could have gotten some more stage points, but it was nice to get a good finish. The CRAFTSMAN Camry was good; we just needed track position. I think we were probably a few spots better than that, but it’s still good. It’s nice to get back on track. Hopefully this is good momentum for next week in Chicago.”
Next Race: Teams now turn their attention to Chicagoland Speedway on Sunday, June 30, 2019 for the Camping World 400. The race is scheduled to start at 3:00 p.m. ET on NBCSN, MRN and SIRIUS XM Channel 90.