Recap – 2019 Firekeepers Casino 400
June 11, 2019
Erik Jones Finishes 31st at Michigan International Speedway
Box Score Info:
Date: June 10, 2019 (Delayed from June 9, 2019)
Event: Firekeepers Casino 400 (Race 15 of 36)
Series: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series
Track: Michigan International Speedway (2.0-mile Oval)
Format: 200 Laps (Stages: 60 laps / 60 laps / 80 laps)
Start/Finish: 14th/31st (Completed 199 of 203 laps)
Point Standings: 18th (357 points, 257 points out of 1st)
Race Winner: Joey Logano
Stage 1 Winner: Joey Logano
Stage 2 Winner: Austin Dillon
Stage 1 Recap (Laps 1-60)
· Erik Jones and the No. 20 CRAFTSMAN Sport Clips Toyota Camry team started 14th and finished stage one in the third spot.
· With the race postponed to Monday afternoon due to rain on Sunday, Jones started the Firekeepers Casino 400 at Michigan International Speedway from the 14th spot and wasted no time moving forward, taking over the fifth position before the competition caution waved on lap 20. Opting to pit for fuel only, Jones restarted the race from fourth on lap 25.
· Continuing to gain positions, Jones was able to move as high as second before ending the stage in third on lap 60. The team opted to pit under the caution for four tires, fuel and adjustments to help with handling of the No. 20 Camry.
Stage 2 Recap (Laps 61-120)
· Jones started stage two from fourth and ended the stage 26th.
· The race restarted on lap 67 with Jones in the fourth position and two laps later when the caution waved, the No. 20 team was scored second. The team opted to stay out under the caution and the race restarted on lap 75.
· Fighting for positions on the restart, Jones slipped to sixth before making a scheduled green-flag stop on lap 113 for left-side tires and fuel. Jones returned to the track in the 30th position.
· Gaining several spots in the closing laps of the stage, Jones was able to finish stage two in 26th when the caution waved on lap 120. The team pitted for right-side tires and fuel under the stage break.
Stage 3 Recap (Laps 121-200)
· Jones restarted the final stage from third and finished in 31st.
· The final stage of the race started on lap 127 with Jones in the third position and two laps later, Jones was fighting to save the No. 20 CRAFTSMAN Sport Clips Camry from spinning after contact with a competitor. Determining there wasn’t significant damage to the No. 20 Camry, the team opted to stay out under the lap 129 caution and restarted the race from 13th on lap 134.
· Moving up to 11th following the restart, the caution was out one lap later. The team again opted to stay out under the caution and restarted the race from 11th on lap 141.
· Unfortunately, Jones was forced to pit under green on lap 142 for a tire down. The unscheduled stop dropped the team off the lead lap to the 31st position.
· With the laps ticking off, Jones had another tire go down on lap 195 causing the No. 20 to spin and bring out the caution late in the race. Jones pitted for tires and to repair damage to the No. 20 Camry. Restarting the race from 30th on the green-white-checker, Jones radioed the team that something was broken in the car and was forced to pit road before crossing the finish line at the end of the race.
· The team was credited with a 31st-place finish.
· Joe Gibbs Racing teammate Martin Truex Jr. finished the race in third, Kyle Busch finished fifth and Denny Hamlin scored an 11th-place finish.
Next Race: Teams now have an off weekend before heading west to Sonoma Raceway on Sunday, June 23, 2019 for the Toyota/Save Mart 350. The race is scheduled to start at 3:00 p.m. ET on Fox Sports 1, PRN and SIRIUS XM Channel 90.