Recap – 2018 Bank of America ROVAL 400
October 1, 2018
RACE: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series – Bank of America ROVAL 400
TRACK: Charlotte Motor Speedway ROVAL
DRIVER: Erik Jones
CAR: No. 20 Reser’s Toyota Camry
POINTS STANDINGS: 16th
- For the inaugural Bank of America ROVAL 400, Erik Jones and the No. 20 Reser’s Toyota Camry team qualified in the 12th position and after 109-laps around the newly created ROVAL at Charlotte Motor Speedway, finished 30th.
- A wreck in second practice on Saturday forced the Reser’s team to a back-up car for the race and resulted in the team starting the race from the rear of the field.
- Patiently picking off one competitor at a time, Jones was able to move in to the top 20 on lap 13 as the first caution waved for a single-car incident. The team decided to leave Jones on track under the caution to restart the race from 14th on lap 16. Losing a few spots on the restart, Jones finished stage one in the 21st position.
- The race restarted on lap 29 for stage two with Jones running 14th. The team opted to make a green-flag stop on lap 36 for four fresh tires, fuel and an adjustment. With teams on varying pit strategies, Jones was scored 21st on lap 50 when the caution waved to end stage two.
- For the final stage of the race, teams took the green flag on lap 54 with Jones scored eighth. Moving up to sixth when the caution waved on lap 65, Jones pitted for his last scheduled stop of the race for four tires, fuel and an adjustment. Restarting the race from 25th on lap 67, Jones was focused on moving up through the field and saving fuel. A quick caution on lap 68 moved Jones up to third for the lap 71 restart as teams opted for various pit strategies. Unfortunately, contact on the restart cut down a tire and caused Jones to spin while trying to nurse the Reser’s Camry back to pit road. Losing a lap while trying to repair the No. 20 Camry on pit road, Jones was trapped a lap down and unable to get back on the lead lap, Jones finished the race in the 30th position.
- The finish eliminates Jones from the 2018 Playoffs for the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Championship.
- Ryan Blaney won the race followed by Jamie McMurray, Clint Bowyer, Alex Bowman and Kurt Busch.
- Teams now head to Dover International Speedway on Sunday, October 7, 2018.