how to cut a mango
Follow these easy tips to select and prepare a mango. First, the mango should have some color (think of a bright ruby red), and some give to it (like a ripe peach). It should also have a fresh, ‘mango-y’ smell. If there is no fragrant scent, it is still green.
How to Cut a Mango
Mangos have a large flat pit in the middle. They are like a flattened oval, with the pit running lengthwise from top to bottom. It is similar to a flat pit in the center of a book.
Two main cutting techniques:
- Half the mango from stem to stern, along the flat side. Carve right along the top of the pit and then do the same on the bottom, and cut off any remaining flesh. From there, it’s like cutting an avocado, you can make dices in skin and then scoop it out.
- You can also buy a kitchen tool that pits mangos. It has a hoop inside of an oval and slides around the pit.
Mango Recipes and Ideas
- Add diced mango to a prepared salsa for extra freshness and flavor. Add to our Baja Café Original Salsa or Baja Café Pico de Gallo Salsa.
- Mangos pair well with tart flavors, such as lime juice, tomato, cilantro and onions.
- They make a healthy topping for fish and chicken, and offer an easy way to get your veggies.
- Mangos are refreshing in frozen drinks such as mango margaritas.Mix with other fruits in desserts such as mango and peach cobbler.