Easy Breakfast Recipe: Hashbrown Egg Bake
I really love a good breakfast on the weekends, but don’t want to spend my entire morning in the kitchen. This recipe combines some of my favorite breakfast ingredients together in one simple dish, and can be ready in 20 minutes or less. Another factor that really draws me to a recipe is the freedom to substitute or add ingredients that I have on hand. With just over five ingredients, this recipe is one that any home cook can master! I made this for my husband last Sunday and served it with a fruit salad that he threw together. It was a great meal that we fixed together and enjoyed while watching a football game. This recipe serves two people comfortably, but feel free to double it or triple it as needed!
- 1/2 package Reser’s Refrigerated Hash Browns (approx. 3 cups)
- 1/4 sweet, white onion
- 1/2 bell pepper, any color
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 Tbs. butter
- Salsa-for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 425° F. Using a cast iron skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Dice the onion and the bell pepper into medium-sized pieces and transfer to skillet. Sauté until vegetables are soft and the onion is translucent.
2. Add the potatoes, and fry until browned and crisp. Crack the eggs on top of the cooked potato and vegetable mixture and top with shredded cheddar cheese. Bake for ten minutes or until the egg whites are set.
3. Using a metal spatula, divide into servings and garnish with your favorite salsa. Be sure that everyone gets at least one egg.
- Feel free to add ingredients to this recipe. Chorizo, mushrooms, or bacon pieces would be a welcome addition!
- Don’t be shy with the garnishes; green onion, sour cream, hot sauce, and more cheese are other great options.
- Be sure to use a cast iron skillet for this meal, so that you can transfer it from the stove to the oven with ease.